I'm not going to lie, I had a lot of fun putting together my wish list this year! In addition to (too much) surfing and pinning, I also spent a long lunch browsing my favourite local shops with the boyfriend in tow. I really didn't have time for that, but I did it anyway, and enjoyed every minute of it. On that self-indulgent note, I think you'll find my choices quite practical this year. Practically perfect, Mary might say.
1. I have absolutely loved looking up at my Leah Duncan calendar every day for the last year. But I do miss that tiny thrill on the first of ever month when you get to flip the page. So I'm grateful she came out with a 12-month version this year.
2. There are just certain hairstyles that don't work with a toque. Am I right, ladies? A headband seems like an ideal solution. This one is made by Westlake Designs in Toronto, but some even more local options are goodnight, day and Yarn Couture. I'd even settle for a ball of wool so I could make one myself. I'm not picky.
3. The only thing that makes me jealous of iPhone owners is the insane variety of cases they have to choose from. Well, I'm happy to say that I've noticed a few designers coming out with cases for Android phones. Like this sweet one from Ton Case.
4. I fell for these adorable little earrings by Ugly Bunny when I was browsing White Elephant the other day. Her Etsy shop is closed for the holiday, but White Elephant has a large assortment!
5. Blame it on fashion bloggers, but I suddenly have an overwhelming need for a plaid wool scarf. I love that this one is from a vintage seller in Hamilton, and the colours are great, but I don't love that's it's acrylic. The person who braves the thrift stores and gifts me one of these is a gem. A real gem.
6. Yes, I run in the winter. And the only way to last longer than ten minutes out there without frostbite is to dress appropriately. I always wear my hair in a ponytail, so a headband is a necessity and the one I've been using just doesn't cut it anymore. According to the customer reviews, this one from MEC is just what I need to keep active all winter long.
7. Hangover tea. Need I say more?
8. For years I've been talking about a map art project to document our travels. We can never find anything we both agree on. This super cool scratch map might be it.
9. I've slowly been getting used to using an electronic calendar, but I'm still pretty attached to having a planner open on my desk. I always use a boring one that I get for free from work, but this one by Kate Spade is so gorgeous and worthier of all the amazing things that will be happening in 2014!
10. Speaking of amazing things happening in 2014, I have a feeling a custom address stamp will come in handy and the calligraphy on this one from Angelique Ink is just perfect.
11. Socks are a big deal in our house. They are discussed, tested and reviewed at length and I'm due for a few new pairs. My favourites are merino wool from Icebreaker, Smartwool and Teko.
It's easy to get carried away this time of year, that's why my family has set spending limits and Mike and I stick to a stocking-only rule. However, as long as we're wishing and hoping, I figured I'd share a few extra luxury items that I am too in love with not to mention, but are all out of the budget. Way out. They also all conveniently combine to make one stunning outfit. Some would call that practical. Probably not Mary, though.
Eve Gravel Three of Joy Blouse $170 / I'm head over heels for this floral print. Are you surprised? There are a couple dresses at White Elephant in this print, but I don't actually wear that many dresses in the winter anymore, so I think this blouse would be the perfect compromise.
Jasmine Virani Warrior Necklace $120 / What's with me and Warrior necklaces? May as well start a collection. Also spotted at White Elephant.
Kate Spade Metro Watch $195 / I haven't worn a watch in at least five years, but I think I'm getting into them again, especially this minimalist style. So pretty.